Kerala Payasam Recipe
Are you craving for semia payasam - the wonderful sweet dish of every Kerala sadhya? This time, I've tried my hand on traditional semia payasam.
Payasam is a south Indian desert, prepared in milk or coconut milk. The main ingredient for semia payasam is Vermicelli, and milk. Semi Payasam is topped with nuts and raisins to get the extra flavor.
You can either have it hot or have chilled one. I prefer the later.
Semiya Payasam Ingredients:
- Vermicelli : ¾ cup
- Milk: 1 litre
- Chowwary 1/4 cup
- Sugar: ¾ cup
- Ghee: 2 tbsp.
- Cashew nuts: 10 - 12 nos.
- Raisins: 1 tbsp.
- Cardamom powder: 1 tsp.
Follow these simple steps to make Semia Payasam
- Soak the sago (Tapioca Pearls) chowwary in 1-2 cups water for an hour
- Boil it with the water until it turns soft and translucent ( Stir in between)
- Sieve it and reserve the chowwary
- Heat tablespoon of ghee in a pan
- Put the vermicelli to roast it ( Light brown color)
- Keep the vermicelli aside
- Next boil milk in a large vessel
- When its fully boiled,slowly add the roasted vermicelli into it
- Stir it to prevent them from sticking
- Boil it in medium heat
- Add sugar and chowwary to the cooked vermacilli
- Now simmer it for 10- 15 minutes or until it begins to thicken
- Add milk you want more loose syrup.Check the sugar and add crushed cardmon.
- Mix it well and switch off the stove
- Last step, roast cashew nuts and raisin in ghee
- Add it to the payasam. The lucky servings will get nuts
Enjoy semiya payasam. Hot! Hot!